Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Healthy Smoothie Anyone?

My kids are always begging me to make them a "healthy (as they term it) smoothie." We got addicted to these when we went to Utah and my bro in law was having these for dinner. And I am so proud of him because he has lost 45 pounds since January!!! Go Grant!! woo-hoo. Not only is he eating healthy, but working out at the gym every day. So here is his secret recipe. smile.

1 banana (can be frozen)
1 cup crushed ice
1 cup soy or almond milk
1/2-1 cup orange juice (tropicana 50 has fewer calories)
6-8 strawberries
1/2 cup pineapple chunks (peaches, raspberries, melon, etc.)
1-2 scoops of protein powder
I am adding a scoop of flax (bought this at costco), and dark greens. Kale, and spinach are the best. You can't taste it I promise.

And there you have it a "healthy" smoothie. What an awesome way to get in lots of nutrients that our kids may be missing. It is a special treat for them, and so much better than reaching for ice-cream when they want a treat to cool them down.

Thanks Grant for sharing.

4 comments:

Teri said...

I am scared of "healthy" because it usually means "yucky" ssooo is it really good..or kinda good but healthy??? I think I need to try it out!

G-rant said...

Thanks Heather!

My new favorite is 1.5 cups off Almond milk, 2 servings of vanilla protein powder, 1 TBSP of Hemp Seed Oil and a serving of Spinach. So tasty.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Becca Mary said...

its really good!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jillian's protein powder is more expensive than the other whey protein at Walmart. Just check the sugar to make sure it's no more than 1 or 2 grams per serving. We are loving frozen pineapple, protein powder, water and ice, flaxseed oil and coconut flavoring. Delish! Also mango is good with it, but higher on the glycemic index-more sugar.