Sunday, March 6, 2011

Have you tried these?

I am totally obsessed with these Amy's Organic frozen meals.
They are all sooooo delicious!
I haven't had one that I don't like. I don't know how much
they cost in the states, but they are relatively reasonable priced here.
Their frozen pizza is really good too. They just don't taste like frozen meals!
YOU MUST TRY THESE! (well, at least if you are into this kind of thing).

We are cutting down our budget yet again to try to pay off our credit card debt as
quickly as possible. My kids were ecstatic! They are hoping I will start buying hotdogs, top ramen, and macaroni and cheese exclusively. I don't think I can do it! They all fight me about trying to eat healthy (i have my fair share of junk food too). Jacob's favorite phrase is
"How do you find this stuff?" When he sees my turkey , non meat, high fiber version of everything. When I was lamenting this morning that I won't be able to buy organic milk, Dave was like....who cares. I was aghast! Not really, Dave likes his bacon and everything processed.
How can he be a doctor and not recognize the importance of eating healthy? He thinks eating fast food for lunch is just fine. It doesn't matter. Of course, this is from the guy who has had two heart attacks. But his health problems are genetic. He said in college he followed their strict diet and his cholesterol was the same. So maybe he just sees it that way. It isn't the same for everyone else. Everyone else isn't on 20 daily medications to stay where they should be.

So am I wrong? Will it really not make a difference if i insist my kids eat healthy? Will they be just as happy and healthy in life? Will they live just as long? Because, really, so we just die when God decides? What do you think? We all love to watch "The biggest Loser" and at least then i feel totally vindicated! Everything that they teach their contestants my kids already know and we practice, so how can they argue with bob and jillian? ha ha. Plus, look at the huge obesity problem in america. Plus, I feel horrible when I don't eat healthy for the most part.
I think Dave just comes from an unusual point of view. His problems are genetic and can't be fixed by diet (so he says), it certainly can't hurt. As far as my kids go.....kids always feel good, they are young, plus they do eat healthy so they don't realize they could feel worse. right? ANDDDDD, it is the word of wisdom to eat healthy whole foods right? Help me out here?

So, does anyone have advice for eating healthy on a tight budget?
It is going to be hard because I have started to really cook the most delicious meals. I have cooked more new recipes since I have been here than in the past 10 years. I am especially obsessed with lime and coconut right now. I have to share with you all of my favorites in another post. Also basil, and I am going crazy because it is not available to buy right now. I have so many recipes that i am waiting to make that call for fresh basil. Wait until I share those. MMMMMM. I need to obsess with exercise as well. smile.

I will welcome your comments on this matter.

P.S. As far as comments go. I have been wanting to tell you all how grateful I am for every single comment that you make. Especially those of you that I haven't met. It really means a lot to me, and makes my day. So please keep it up! It makes me keep blogging. If I can help, uplift, or inspire even one person it is worth it!

PPS-I have been loving how yummy the light yoplait yoghuts are. I tried them after I saw it advertised on the biggest loser. I was loving them that is until I just looked at the back and it reads that it has high fructose corn syrup, modified food starch, and aspartame! All big no nos. Again, does it really matter?????

9 comments:

cbo said...

No advice from me. I am still trying to figure out a good balance of healthy vs convenient for my family.
One of my goals is to provide 2 fruits and 3 veggies for my family everyday. It doesn't always happen, and when it does not everyone will eat all of the choices.
My biggest success has been going to whole wheat flour for everything. One of my kids actually complained when I bought white bread for an extended family get together!
Good luck and be sure to share some of the healthy recipes!

merathon said...

you hit it right on the head with the WoW comment. it all comes back to that-- eat meat sparingly and focus on foods from the earth! if we all did that, our country wouldn't be in the unhealthy state it's in. we'd have minimal heart disease, diabetes, and cancer! keep doing what you're doing! your kids will thank you later!

--signed, a dietitian/blog stalker!

Anonymous said...

moderation in all things, glady!!!!! i think it's always smart to be looking for new ways to incorporate better eating habits and healthier recipes. i also think it's important to enjoy life and good food too. don't you miss and dream about italy's food???? it was worth every pound!!!!
ciao ciao!! xoxox

Anonymous said...

you seriously need to share any recipes with lime, coconut or fresh basil. All my faves!!! yum. Hey, I grew up with Mom's health food, rebelled and ate only candy and Capn Crunch, and now as an adult I swing the health food way....it only matters when it matters. On the other hand, because Mom taught us good principles, we feel guilty when we don't eat right and excercise. I don't think a lot of people get that. Mom was ahead of her time. Did I tell you I was in Morro Bay the day that Jack LaLanne died?? I was so sad!

sarawhat said...

I would just stick with diet coke. No calories. Just burning goodness. haha.

Lori said...

I enjoy your blog - I came across it through your sister. I just read a fascinating book about North Korea, called Nothing to Envy, Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick. Thought you might find it interesting to read while living in South Korea.

Courtney said...

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/01/26/budget-day-100-victory/#more-1201 I was blog hopping this morning and I found this sight I thought you would like. This lady did all about eating healthy, no sugar no processed foods etc. Anyway she did a 100 day challenge on a budget and I thought you might be able to use some of her ideas. Good luck and I love reading you blog:)

debsfreckles said...

I hear ya. Sometimes because of budget and convenience I think about just giving up on healthy eating. But in the end it does not feel right. Probably because I know better. My husband has the same attitude as yours, but one time we went to stay at a friends house and he ate a ton of processed food (like pizza pockets) and felt horrible. He thanked me for the way I cooked after that and it made me feel so good. Do what you can, but don't stress over it too much, cause your kids won't die if they eat top ramen every now and then:)

Unknown said...

Your blog is so real and honest I love it. Push the healthy food on your kids! My mom never bought white bread, only 100% wheat. I hated it growing up but now I am 25 and couldn't imagine eating white ... tastes gross to me. My little daughter is going to eat wheat, too. Just an example for you, keep doing what you're doing!