Friday, March 23, 2012

artisan bread made here.


See this incredibly beautiful boule of bread?

My husband, the artisan bread maker, made it.
(we do call him by that official title now. I mean who cares about being a MD.
I am putting this on our checks. ha)

I got this book as a white elephant gift at our New Year's eve party. Little did
i know how it would change my life.
Dave randomly picked up the book last weekend, and became completely inspired
(and now obsessed).
He is up until all hours baking bread every night. Each creation more delicious and
pleasing to the eye than the last. One night it's focaccia, another bread pudding, an olive
loaf, wheat, white, and on and on. Can you believe my good fortune?!

Dave says that it is incredibly easy. See the big bin of dough in the back? You make the dough, throw it in the fridge, and then use a little every day. Or in our case, a lot. The kids (ok, and me too), eat it as fast as he can make it. Especially if we have olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip it in. Yum!
His artisan hands at work.

Look how cute he is!
(He is wearing the apron you recently got for us in Peru Teresa!)
Every time rebecca sees him baking she says with total adoration,
"I love him so much."


I had a "March birthdays" lunch at my house on Thurs. Dave whipped up three of these
baguettes for the ladies. They were beyond impressed.
Dave is glowing all the time, because we non stop praise him.
How could we not.
You see he is not just making bread now. He is doing carrot cakes, cheesecakes etc.
and making multiple recipes to test which is best. Yes, people are definitely stopping
by more often to visit us for the latest tasters. smile.
Dave even got Caitlin (far right) to say our family prayer for the night in return for a large piece of this particular carrot cake. Her prayer was so awesome! We love her so much.
So pretty much, the kids all think their dad is the bomb.
(like they didn't think that before).
It is getting harder and harder to remain their favorite parent. ha ha.
What is super funny too is I am getting new things in the mail every day. Like baking stones, oven thermometers etc. Look what came today? These two new cook books......
and this fancy "danish dough whisk." I was dying laughing. He is so dang cute! I think I am loving him more with each new baked item.
(I am serious).

You see, i don't like to cook. Don't get me wrong, I cook a ton. I have to. There
are 8 people in my family, and I do really enjoy eating good food.
Plus, I value family dinner time, and seeing my children properly fed.
But dang it, i just don't enjoy it.
So this new development in my marriage is better than winning the lottery.
Especially since I don't gamble. ha.

So being the supportive wife I am,
(I support my husband in all his righteous endeavors. smile)
I pulled out every recipe I have ever collected from a friend or magazine to try and
have never gotten around to making, and handed the piles over to dave.
His reply, " buy the ingredients and I'll make them".
Be still my heart. i love that man.

So I ordered a couple of more cook books myself, and I can enjoy
them exactly how I like to. Looking at the pictures...oohing and ahhing
and then showing dave which ones I want him to try out.

Just when I thought my life couldn't get any better!

Could this be another blessing of reading the book of mormon every day?
You'll never know until you try!!!!!!

5 comments:

kathee said...

You are so right on about that Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes book. I bought it a couple of months ago and it is genius! I am NOT a breadmaker and even I can do it!!

kelly mccaleb said...

this made me laugh so hard. it's probably satisfying like performing a successful surgery to him. so funny

ps we finally got a web cam so i can skype now. call me

Amie said...

It looks like he is really enjoying it!! (and you are reaping the benefits!)

Anonymous said...

i am soooooo glad you are back. i have missed you!!!! love that dave is cooking and that everyone's gaining weight! :) how was your trip? your blog entries are better than dave's buns, i mean bread. ciao xoxo

Leslie said...

you guys are so awesome! i really want some of that bread! yummy! dave is the best! i am so buying that book! love you and can't wait to see you this summer!