Friday, October 25, 2013

One year exactly.....time to post.


 "The home is the first and most effective place for children to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self-control; the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home." -David O. McKay




A lot of things in my life have been pushed over to make room for these 7 amazing people.  They are my work.  They are my joy.  They are my legacy.  They are my everything.  My home is a sacred place to me.  Look at all that is happening in it (quote above).  Being a mother is the most sacred of callings and such a great honor and privilege.  I take it very seriously.  As is being a wife.  It takes work, discipline, love, patience, kindness, forgiveness and so much more.   Characteristics and wisdom that can only be gained through a close relationship with my Heavenly Father.  Now I know why my Mom was always in her closet praying. ha.

I readily admit that I am not a perfect mother or wife.  I often find myself saying, "Mommy hours are over for the day!" and I never iron my husband's shirts (ok, maybe I have twice).  And the list goes on and on.   But I know that there is nothing more important than family relationships.  In the end, it is all we have, it is all that matters.  If we want a better world, we need to focus on our families.  

In the bigger scheme of things we are all family.  Children of our Heavenly Father.  Each dear and precious to Him.  Living here together on Earth.  What a marvelous opportunity to learn these life lessons together.  The importance of truth, honor, virtue, self control, education, honest work.  Realizing that our life has a purpose and is a privilege given to us by our loving Heavenly Father for our learning and growth.

So tonight, on my birthday eve, I am grateful for one more year of learning.  One more year of giving and growing.  I am hoping for many more years to work on these relationships I have been blessed with.  Both in my immediate family and in my extended family that includes all of you!  I learned so much this year!  Nothing stretches us like family relationships, right?!  As always, love is always the answer to any problem.  Christ like love.  You know the love that suffereth long, and is kind, envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, and endureth all things.  That's a lot of ething to do. ha

We are all imperfect.  That's ok.  It's ok that life is hard, that relationships are hard, that parenting is hard.  It's ok to feel regret, remorse, disappointment in ourselves.  No problem.  those feelings are built in to make us reach for better.  To want to grow.  Not to give in and just say I can't change.  I just can't do better.  That's what all this time we have been given is for.  Discouragement doesn't come from God.  Just remember that.  He wants us all to be happy and that comes from implementing all these important life lessons. If you're not happy, take a look at the list above, and work on where you are falling short.  

 I am grateful for my parents who did their best to teach me these life lessons despite being imperfect.  One of my favorite things that my Mom ever said to me that I share often with others is, "My parents did the best they could and I had to forgive them for their shortcomings.  You have to learn to do the same thing too."  (when would she have needed to say that to me you ask. ha ha)

So there is your pep talk.  (my sister is thinking Lecture you mean. ha)

So what exciting learning opportunities will my 43th year bring?!  We shall see.  I may just have to blog about it!


6 comments:

Ahlena Black said...

Thanks Heather, just what I needed to be reminded of today. Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Perfect yearly update!

Dahlene said...

What an inspiring post, Heather! You are amazing and I love to see your family grow. I want to see a blog update before the year is up. Happy Birthday!!

Betsey said...

I was glad I stopped by. It's been so long since you last posted! I miss seeing and hearing about your many adventures and family activities. May this next year be full of joy!

Anonymous said...

what????? why didn't you tell me you did a blog post? I just found it because I was going to look at pictures of your kitchen. this post made me realize how much I am missing, by you not blogging. who needs the scriptures when heather is blogging? :) looking forward to facetiming you cosi presto! xoxo

Sanem35 said...

Thanks for sharing